We Lutherans believe, teach, and confess …
that God Is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, yet one God, that God is Creator of all things: Preserver, and Sovereign, that the Bible is God’s Word to call people to Jesus Christ, that the Spirit of God stirs people to believe in God, that all men, good and bad, are debtors to and "Beggars before God," that man cannot make himself right with God by better behavior because no human behavior is ever perfect in thought, word and deed,
that God by grace, in mercy, and moved by his perfect love created a plan to save his separated creatures, that all who repent and believe that Jesus Christ by his perfect life and his sacrificial death on the cross and His resurrection from the dead restored them completely to God’s good favor and are God’s people, that faith permeates the whole person and is therefore active in love toward others especially the poor, the needy, and my neighbor, that faith delights in God’s Ten Commandments as a way of life, that faith has the built-in urge to multiply itself -that faith accepts government as God’s ordained representative, and that obedience and taxes are God pleasing.
Finally, We Lutherans believe, teach, and confess … that the world will come to an end, that Jesus Christ is coming again to judge the living and the dead, and that those who did not believe in Jesus Christ for what ever reasons will perish in hell eternally, that those who did believe will live "life after life" forever with God in heaven.
Following our Savior’s command recorded In Matthew 28:19, "Go ye therefore and disciple all nations," the mission of God’s people at Trinity is to witness Christ to our community through worship, education, and fellowship.
The Bible is the inspired Word of God. It is His message to all people. The entire Bible points to Jesus as the Savior.
There is only one true God. He has revealed Himself as Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
God is the creator of everything that exists.
People were originally created by God pure and holy. They lived according to God’s will, doing what was pleasing to Him.
Adam and Eve, the man and woman God created in the beginning, went against God’s will and brought sin into the world. Since that time, all people have been conceived and born in sin.
Sin is living out of relationship with God, not living according to God’s will, and thus transgressing His holy will in thought, word, and deed.
People cannot save themselves by their good works or restore themselves to a right relationship with God.
God sent His Son, Jesus, into the world. He is both true God and true man. He lived to fulfill God’s law for us, died on the cross to pay the penalty our sins deserved, and rose from the dead so that we might have eternal life. He ascended into heaven, where He now sits at the right hand of The Father to intercede for us.
Because of Jesus’ death on the cross, God declares a person just-or righteous-and forgiven. This happens not because of human effort, but because the justification won by Jesus is applied to the one who believes in Jesus as Savior.
Faith in Jesus is a gift of God, given by the power of the Holy Spirit, thus all the glory belongs to God.
The means of grace are the Word, Holy Baptism, and Holy Communion. By these means, God applies the merits of Jesus’ atoning death to all who believe in Jesus as their Savior.
Jesus will come again to take all believers to Himself On the final day, all the dead will be raised. Those who are still alive will be bodily transformed. After this, the final judgment will take place. Unbelievers will go into eternal damnation, and believers into eternal life.
The true Christian church is made up of all believers of all times who believe in the Triune God and in Jesus Christ as their only Savior.
The true visible church is the church which correctly preaches and teaches God’s Word and administers Holy Baptism and Holy Communion according to the teachings of Scripture.
Christians are called to tell others that the only way of salvation is by faith in Jesus Christ, and to show their faith by their deeds of love towards others.
Being a member of Trinity means being a part of God’s family. We welcome you to join one of our "Welcome to the Family" groups where you will not only learn but experience life in God’s family here at Trinity.
The atmosphere is relaxed and casual, meeting in a home. The main goals of the group are to connect you to Jesus and to one another. For that reason, the group will run for 12 to 18 weeks. You’ll be surprised at how quickly the time flies.
After the group is over, you’re welcome to join us as a formal member of Trinity, but mostly we’re just happy that you’re part of the family.
If you would like to place your name on the prospective membership list at Trinity, or desire further information, please call or send an email, to the Church Office.
The Beginning Years of Trinity
Beginning on July 3, 1921, Mr. and Mrs. F.L.E. Adler offered the use of their home for both Sunday School and Church Services, two Sunday mornings per month. The English language services were conducted under the leadership of Reverend Theo F. Haeuser, Pastor of Bethlehem Lutheran in Geneseo, CA. The services were held there for eight months.
On October 16, 1921, an organizational meeting of Evangelical Lutheran Trinity Church of El Paso de Robles was held at the home of the Adlers. Eight voting members adopted a constitution to guide the establishment of the Lord’s work in the community. On December 2, 1921, a Charter of Incorporation was issued by the State of California. The charter members of the congregation were F.L.E. Adler, Arthur Claus, Mat Claus, Paul Eimon, Andrew Iversen, Melvin Moe, Otto Paulus and Robert C. Paulus.Two lots on the corner of Ninth and Vine Streets, 100 x 400 feet were purchased for $1,400 on November 18, 1921 and ground for construction was broken that afternoon.
Dedication of the first Trinity Lutheran Church was March 12, 1922 with Reverend Theo F. Haeuser delivering the sermon. During the next few years, many members of Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Geneseo were absorbed into the Trinity congregation. Because of this merger Bethlehem Lutheran Church was disbanded and dismantled and the salvaged lumber was used in the erection of Bethlehem Memorial Hall on the west end of Trinity in 1939. To provide more seating Trinity was remodeled in 1942.
A Call to Service
The same church bell that called the congregation and friends to church services at Bethlehem Lutheran Church and the Trinity at Ninth and Vine celebrated one hundred years of service in 1998 and now calls members to Trinity on Creston Road.
The Silver Jubilee of Trinity
The silver jubilee service for Trinity and the “Dorcas Society” was held October 27, 1946. The congregation numbered thirty-three voting members; one hundred forty-two communicant members and two hundred fifty-four souls.
On Christmas Eve in 1946 a sixteen voice choir presented “The Messiah”. “The Walther League”, a Synod-wide organization, was active for youth. In addition, “Lutheran Laymen’s League” and “Sunday School” aided in the growth of the church.
During World War II, many service men and women from Camp Roberts worshiped at Trinity. On Sundays, members would invite the service people to their homes for home-cooked meals . The Lutheran Service Center was located on the NW corner of Thirteenth and Pine Streets, through which the congregation supplied home-baked cookies and cakes for the service people and their friends.
In 1950, the parsonage on Ninth and Vine Streets was moved so that a new church could be erected. The second Trinity Lutheran Church was dedicated to the Glory of God on June 10, 1951, at a cost of $75,000, which including the furnishings. The new church seated two hundred seventy people. The former church building and hall became Sunday School and meeting rooms.
Trinity Lutheran School
A parochial school had long been in the plans of the congregation. In 1962 Trinity Lutheran School was opened on a seven and one half acre parcel of land on Creston Road. An addition to the school was dedicated in 1981and a pre-school opened in the Parish Hall in 1993.
The Present Trinity
The dream of the congregation was to erect a new facility adjacent to Trinity Lutheran School. In May of 1986, a faithful member, Ed Borchert, died leaving a sizable portion of his estate to Trinity Lutheran Church, stipulating that it be used for building the church on Creston Road. With the congregation’s vote to build both the Church and the Parish Hall, his wishes were granted.
Ground breaking was May 6, 1990 and a “Farewell to the old Trinity” service was held at Ninth and Vine Streets on May 5, 1991. The reredos (back of the altar), the Good Shepherd window and the Baptismal Font were installed in the new church. On May 12, 1991 a dedication service was held at Trinity Lutheran on Creston Road for the church and the adjoining Parish Hall.
In 2002 the congregation dedicated a new school building to house the school office and additional class rooms.
There are numerous opportunities to serve at Trinity. Among these is the “Lutheran Braille Workers’ Center” which has been in continuous operation since 1977. The “Quit Crafters” sewing quilts to send to “Lutheran World Relief” since 1989. In addition, the “Lutheran Women in Mission League” along with many other groups and organizations share the work of the Lord.
We pray that God will continue to bless our congregation and bring many more souls to hear His Word and received His gifts in the years to come.
“To witness Christ to our community through worship, education and fellowship.”